CANCELLED Meditation: Going Deeper – Meditation and the tantric tradition
- Mon Nov 5th 2018
- 7:30 pm
- 9:15 pm
- Booking required
- £120 Full waged / £80 Part waged / £40 Unwaged
Six Mondays 5 November-10 December 7.30-9.15pm
Ever felt the need for some fresh energy in your meditation practice – or in your Dharma life? Energy is an important aspect of the tantric teachings in Buddhism: how to generate, cultivate, purify and transform it. The tantric tradition can often seem esoteric or obscure; and you may well be wondering what ‘tantra’ really means. This course makes tantric principles practical and directly applicable in meditation and in daily life. By working with teachings of two renowned tantric gurus, Milarepa and Padmasambhava, you’ll learn:
– Ways to stabilise your mental states (samatha), eg through mindfulness of breathing;
– Ways to develop metta, and teachings on compassion;
– The meaning of ‘tantra’ in Buddhism and how it fits with the Tibetan traditions;
– About the lives of Padmasambhava and Milarepa as biography and as spiritual teaching;
– The specific views of the traditions started by Padmasambhava and embodied in Milarepa’s poetry and songs;
– What these traditions have to say about the nature of mind and consciousness.
This course is open to people who have their own regular, self-guided meditation practice and an interest in Buddhism. You’ll need to have completed one of our Introduction to Meditation courses (or equivalent), and so familiar with, for example, the hindrances and how to work with them, and the dhyana factors; and to be able to sit still in a meditation posture for at least 45 minutes. Please contact the Centre if you’re unsure whether this course is suitable for you or for more information.
The easiest way to book is online - just click the button below.
Please make sure you have read all the details of the event, have made sure you are eligible to attend (eg for 'going deeper' events) and are willing to make any commitments that are required.
Bookings are fully refundable up to 7 days in advance. After that we cannot usually offer refunds.
You can also book in person at the Centre, or by sending a cheque payable to West London Buddhist Centre along with your name, email and phone number and the name and date of the event to:
The West London Buddhist Centre,
45a Porchester Rd,
London W2 5DP
Please include your name, email and phone number with your booking.